Health & Aged Care
WGA has recent experience on some of Australia’s major hospital and healthcare projects with the most notable including the new Royal Adelaide Hospital, Lyell McEwin Hospital Redevelopment, SAHMRI 2 and Berwick’s St John of God Hospital. As one of Australia's leading earthquake design firms, WGA completed the design of the new Royal Adelaide Hospital project which was Australia's first major facility to be designed to satisfy AS1170.4 (Earthquake Standard) post-disaster facility requirements. WGA's team have proven specialist experience and fully understand the needs of a post-disaster facility to operate in 'Island Mode' following a disaster event if required.
Health facilities have unique performance requirements that are integral with the structural design including vibration, acoustic and shielding considerations. As recommended in The Australasian Health Facilities Guidelines, these requirements must be well understood during the early stages of concept design. WGA’s experience with both large and small-scale health care facilities allows us to engage with the end users to help predict performance requirements even where they may not be well known at early stages of design.
We understand the structural and civil features that are unique to Aged Care facilities, such as flexibility in layouts, the requirements of mobility/access, as well as the consideration and focus in detailing of structural clearances to accommodate services.
Our team has extensive experience in the following areas of the Health & Aged Care sector:
- Delivering modern clinical and research facilities on budget and time
- Working in complex multidisciplinary environments
- Working collaboratively with clients, design colleagues, contractors and external stakeholders
- Building and managing large complex BIM platforms (18 federated BIM models in nRAH)
- An expert understanding of vibration design controls (suspended MRI, CT and PETscanners throughout nRAH + pathology and robot surgery floors vibration criteria)
- Delivering radiation containment bunkers (5 linear accelerator bunkers in nRAH & 2 bunkers at Lyell McEwin )
- Achieving environmentally sensitive design outcomes across a range of rating tools (eg Greenstar, WELL, Nabers)
- In built flexibility for future building refurbishment