Pressure Vessel Inspector
Pressure Vessel Inspector
As our Service Pressure Equipment Inspector David services both metropolitan and rural clients across South Australia.
A welder and boilermaker by trade, David made a career change at 30 to become a mechanical and design drafter. After completing his studies, he joined Aztec Analysis working in a drafting role for over 13 years, before the Australian Government announced that it would no longer be facilitating pressure testing.
Seeing this as an opportunity, David decided to further extend his working knowledge and undertook a traineeship type role with an ex Government inspector to learn the skills and expertise required in in-service pressure vessel inspection. Travelling throughout South Australia for 2 years he gained an intricate understanding of the specific requirements of this field. David continues to travel from 2,000 - 4,000 kilometres per month, servicing equipment for an enormous range of clients from large corporations including Nyrstar, BOC and Air Liquide to smaller individual clients comprising fishing, tuna boats to gas stations and many other small businesses which have pressure equipment requiring inspections.
With an approximate 3,000 vessels inspected on a regular basis including large capacity gas fired boilers to small air receivers, David aims to always work closely with clients and contractors to achieve solutions which meet the client’s needs, whilst maintaining a focus on constructability. With an increase in imported equipment brought in by companies, David is kept busy ensuring clients have a comprehensive understanding of compliance and standards, accurate documentation and follow duty of care requirements.
In 2016 David won the opportunity to travel to Tanzania with the WGA Scholarship. Having never been outside Australia he was thrilled to be able to participate in a four-week term assisting a number of Team Vista’s community development projects. Enjoying the challenge of working in a foreign environment, with limited materials and resources, David assisted with the maintenance of Team Vista’s children’s home and their new Haria Backpackers Hotel.
A SAMFS retained fire fighter, David put his skills to use training the local fire brigade squad as well as volunteering across a diverse range of activities including helping at the local school, coaching the soccer and volleyball teams, and even participating in a meeting designed for the empowerment of women. David no doubt holds this experience as one of his life’s greatest achievements – so much so, he and his partner are planning their return trip to once again volunteer their time, skills and expertise.
Aside from his volunteering plans, David hopes to one day have the opportunity to share his vast career expertise and work on a wide range of Pressure vessels contained at wind farm, solar thermal projects and winery’s.
David’s project experience includes
- Power Station in Pt Augusta: 2009 / 2010 full time as an In-house Inspector, prior to this he was used as a 3rd Party certifier on Boilers and pressure equipment on site for several years.
- BHP Billiton Olympic Dam (WMC): In-service for several years prior there Implementation of in house inspectors.
- BAE Womera defence base: In-service for several years prior there Implementation of in house inspectors.
- Air Liquide Port Pirie Oxygen and Torrens Island CO2 Plant (commissioning).
- Arrium Whyalla: In-service for several years prior there Implementation of in house inspector.
- BOC Gases Whyalla and Olympic Dam Oxygen plants.
- Nyrstar Port Pirie In-Service inspections including Slag Fumer waste heat boilers.
- Port Lincoln Tuna Processors including 2 Gas/Diesel fired Boilers to Nitrogen, Refrigeration and air receiver inspections.
- Beverley Heathgate Uranium Mine process vessel inspections.
- Pressure equipment inspections relating to, mines site drill rigs, haul trucks, tug boats, fishing vessels, Vacuum pumping vessels.
- Annual inspections of steam boilers at hospitals, drycleaners and Abattoirs throughout regional South Australia.
- A.P.Y. Lands and Coober Pedy remote area pressure vessel inspections.
- Concrete foundation inspections for Port Augusta Toyota and Caritas College.
- Boral Concrete Conveyor Structure Inspections
- Adelaide Show Amusement ride integrity inspections.