Upgrade to the 'N' Berth on the Port River
WGA designed a major upgrade to ‘N’ berth on the Port River at Birkenhead, SA, for Flinders Ports.
The upgraded facility will provide a fuel bunkering facility for 100m long Platform Supply Vessels of up to 10,000 tonnes displacement. Incorporating the existing 1920's timber T-Head jetty presented design challenges.
New independent structures for the support of fenders and bollards were designed, along with general repairs to the old timber structure. Significant savings were achieved by creating large concrete anchor structures on land to carry the lateral berthing and mooring loads. This avoided the need for much larger piled dolphin structures over water.
WGA also provided construction supervision services and temporary works design including a special frame for driving the raker piles.